Book Review on: The Hunger Games



An awesome book review on the best-selling book by Suzanne Collins, the Hunger Games
Hungry for the Hunger Games!

Book Review By: Bellise Marianna
Rating and Age Appropriate:
            5 Stars!                                           Recommended for ages 12+
In a dystopian future, the totalitarian nation of Panem is divided into 12 districts and the Capitol. Each year two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal retribution for a past rebellion, the televised games are broadcast throughout Panem. The 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors while the citizens of Panem are required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss' young sister, Prim, is selected as District 12's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart, Peeta, are pitted against bigger, stronger representatives, some of whom have trained for this their whole lives.
- Written by Suzanne Collins





My thoughts on the book, the Hunger Games - Book 1:

If I could pick any word to describe the Hunger Games, many would pop in my mind. Exciting. Brutal. Page-turner. The Hunger Games are dangerous! Once you pick it up, you can’t put it down. I read it in one day.

My mom challenged me to a fifty book challenge; so in one year I’m supposed to finish fifty books. I took on her challenge excitedly. We went to the bookstore one day and I was walking around and saw the Hunger Games under a conglomeration of books. I picked up and was like, “This book looks super dumb.” But, part of me was like, “Read it! Read it!”
So after thinking about it more, I decided to buy it.  I began to read it and as I dug deeper into the words and the characters, I loved it. The storyline wasn’t very appealing to me, I didn’t like all the killing. It was a bit gory for me, but as a fellow writer, I learned to appreciate the thinking of the author. It was creative and opened up new doors for me.

I was especially in love with the characters, Peeta and Katniss. For me, Katniss is an ideal role model that people could look up to. She’s brave, independent, clever, mature, compassionate, and much more. As for Peeta, he is sweet, careful, agile, loving, and overall a lovable character. I fell in love with these characters right when I began reading. The way they protect each other and their backstory is awesome.

The Hunger Games is a thrilling, exciting, page turner recommended for ages 12+. This is mainly because the writing is so descriptive, so some visionary might scare younger readers. I would call it advanced reading. The book discusses political views and war, and because it is so addicting, younger children that read from book one might want to finish the full series, which I don’t see Mockingjay (the last book in the series), being quite appropriate for younger children.

Overall, I would call this book a must-read before you go to high school. For older readers who love futuristic thrillers, this book is perfect. And if you loved this first book, the second book is even better than the first, which is something I’ve never seen before, the sequels are never quite as good.
Readers will fall in love with every aspect of the book, from the storyline to the characters. It’s inspiring. It inspired me to write my novel, ‘Remember my Name.’ But, I must warn you! You might become obsessed. And all of us are living through the famine, of not enough Hunger Games books! So, stop reading this and get to the bookstore and buy this book! Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor.
xoxo,



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Back
to top