Sometimes we get bored at the pool and we are wishing we had come up with some games to play. My sister doesn't always want to play the rainbow game at the pool, you know?! So, here we have created some awesome games for you to play at the pool. Be careful!
1. Mermaid Races - Some call them dolphin races or submarine races. Call it what you want, this is a “hold your breath and see who can swim the longest underwater race.”
2. Invisi-bottle - Take an empty clear 2 liter plastic bottle. One with a white cap, or the same color as your pool tiles is also a good idea. Fill the bottle with pool water and line the players up on the pool deck, backs to the water. When they hear the splash they can turn around and try to find it. It may sound easy, but gets harder when bottle camouflages getting closer to the bottom.
3. Noodles Jousting - Line up on a raft and just as medieval jousters, try to knock the other person of the raft with your noodle!
4. Shark in the Pool - This is another variation of tag where the players are allowed to hop in and out of the water. The shark, “it”, tries to tag them when they are in the water. If the shark tags someone, they become “it.” You can add variations by giving the shark a mask, a snorkel, even fins so they can swim quickly to catch the players. Players can only stay out of the water for 5 seconds at a time to give the shark a chance to catch them.
5. Ping-Pong - Just as it is fun to collect things that sink to the bottom, you can do the same with things that float. Ping pong balls make a great floating thing to catch since they’re light and hard to see. You can put numbers on them for point values, initials on them where players need to find just their own, etc.
6. Popsicle - Freeze tag in the water. When someone is tagged, they stand straight with their hands above their head, like a popsicle. The added twist in this game is submarining. When a player is under water, they cannot be tagged by “it,” but they can swim past a “popsicle” and unfreeze them.
It’s like Red Rover. Players try to get from one side of the pool to the other without getting tagged by the person. When they tag a player, they join them in the middle and hold hands. Subsequent players join in as well until you have a long line (an octopus) in the middle. Play until 1 is left, and then start again.
8. Atomic Whirlpool
Have everyone start slowly moving around in a circle, then move faster and faster and faster until a whirlpool is created and you can float on it. (Works better in a smaller pool.)
Grab an odd number of diving sticks (7, 5, 9) and place your players on opposite ends of the pool. Toss the sticks in the middle, and the first pirate to come back with the majority of the sticks (treasure) wins.
The same as “What Time Is It Mr. Wolf?” that your kids would play at recess, except in the pool it is “What Time Is It Mr. Shark?”
The basketball game HORSE has people taking stunt shots, miss a shot get a letter. First to spell HORSE loses. For FISH, you can play with a poolside basketball net, or you could just have players go back and forth doing dives, splashes, and other acrobatic pool maneuvers.
Exactly how it sounds.
14. Marco Polo
This classic is basically tag in the water. One person closes their eyes and yells “MARCO!” the rest of the players respond with “POLO!” while they move around the pool and try to avoid being caught.
15 Chicken Fight
Ride piggy back on the shoulders and then engage the other team. First one to fall of their ride’s shoulders loses.
This is whack-a-mole in the pool. “It” must try and pluck off the bobbing players when they pop up with a pool noodle, or soft ball. Once they’re all plucked off, trade places and bob again.
17. Rainbow Game This game, have a person turn around (back facing the pool) and many other people face the pool. They will call out red-orange-yellow-green-blue-purple, and when the people facing the pool hear their number, they jump in and try to swim to the other end of the pool without being tagged by the person who is calling out the colors. When the person calling out hear's people jumping in the pool, they have to jump in and try to tag them before they get to the other end of the pool.